This exercise provided courtesy of Billy Polson, founder and co-owner of DIAKADI Body, which was voted best personal training gym in San Francisco by CitySearch in 2006.
Super Legs is one leg exercise you can't live without, particularly since it combines four incredible leg exercises: squats, reaching lunges, jump scissor switches, and jump squats. It will keep your legs in great shape, developing strength and power throughout a full range of motion. For this variation, you'll do the entire exercise slowly, focusing on maintaining perfect form throughout.
Stand upright with feet about hip-distance apart. Place your hands on your head, with your elbows out (see Photo 1).
- Bend your hips and knees into a squat. Descend slowly, focusing on form. Your weight should be evenly balanced between your heels and the balls of your feet. Allow your back to arch normally as you sit through your hips (see Photo 2).
- When you have reached the depth of the squat, reverse motion and drive up through your heels to return to the starting position.
- After doing the recommended number of reps of the squats, continue with alternate lunges. Step forward with one foot as you drop your back knee toward the floor (see Photo 3). Again, go slowly, focusing on form and control. Do not push your front knee past your ankle. Think of lowering down through the back thigh, rather than pushing on the front foot. Drive off the front foot as you bring the back knee up, and return the front foot to its original position. Repeat the same motion with the other leg forward.
- After you have finished the recommended number of reps of the alternating lunges, move on to jump scissor switches. These are the same as the lunges described above, but instead of bringing your feet back together across the floor after the lunge, you will jump into the air out of the lunge and land with the feet reversed. If you started with right foot forward and left back, land with left forward and right back. From the reversed foot orientation, repeat the jump scissor until you have done the total number of recommended switches (see Photos 4 and 5).
- Finally, you will do jump squats. From the starting position, sit slowly into a squat as described above (see Photo 6). From the bottom of the squat, jump into the air as high as you can (see Photo 7), and then land and lower yourself immediately into the next squat (see Photo 8). Repeat for the total number of recommended jump squats.