Boy_Vegas saidI have a very close friend who is in a very co-dependent relationship. They are perfectly happy needing each other constantly and spending from Thursday-Monday morning together every single weekend, and constantly touching. It is worse than it sounds, and friends have noticed and commented how unhealthy it seems.
What do you consider unhealthy in a relationship? If a couple's fights are so bad they hit each other, but think its just 'their personalities', and not a big deal, do you think thats unhealthy? Or maybe a couple who has an open relationship, for example, when you hear about that do you think that is unhealthy?
What to you would scream 'unhealthy relationship'?
To me, an unhealthy relationship would mean
1. Lack of communication, even if there is, there is a certain way to communicate with a partner. That is, no yelling, but have your point be as clear as possible and be as nice as you can be in saying what you feel.
2. Not recognizing that there's an "I" in relationships - that is people not respecting his partners needs. Remember that before you met your partner, he had his own life and he may want to keep his activities, habits, what not and so do you. This is where selfishness comes in, one party just wants his way all throughout the relationship. As we all know, a relationship is a two way street. To me, you have to have room for your partners interests even if you might not like it in the beginning and vice versa.
3. Not compromising - partners who are not adapting to the other persons individuality to create a mix of good teamwork. We cannot be resistant because of our own selfishness. Doing it your own way and not respecting the other party is a sure way to an unhealthy relationship.
4. Being negative - partners focusing on their problems more than the positive things that can come out out of is definitely not gonna help build a solid foundation for a true relationship.
5. Unwillingness to back down - partners I believe should learn how to know the difference of winning and being happy in terms of arguments. Problems and arguments are inevitable. Harshness, cynicism and being critical in a relationship just make things worst: feelings being hurt and possibly alienate your partner.
6. Dishonesty - I think this is self explanatory...