gregography saidRon Paul who wants to make gay sex criminal again? That Ron Paul?
I must have missed that particular memo. But even so, that one thing would be unconstitutional via various SCOTUS rulings, if I'm not mistaken.
Otherwise, the points made by Dr. Paul in his campaign, and continued by the Campaign for Liberty have a draw for me:
- smaller, less intrusive federal government
- bringing back the bulk of our armed forces within proper US borders, including closing down most of our European and Far East Asian operations in addition to the Middle East. We can better utilize our armed forces to secure our own borders, and redirect some of that money saved toward advanced threat detection, space-based weapons and neutralization platforms, and non-nuclear hypersonic ballistic weapons to counter the emerging nuclear threat from Iran and North Korea, as well as keep an eye on others who will most assuredly acquire nukes in the years to come.
- sound money: not necessarily a return to the gold standard, but a very strict accounting for what the Federal Reserve does.
- No more taxpayer bailouts for failed corporations.
- Drive down the cost of college tuition by drawing down the Dept. of Education (government subsidized loans - while nice and often offering very low interest rates, are a cash cow for most post-secondary schools. A large part of what makes school so expensive is that the schools themselves expand to spend the money they can charge for tuition with all that nice loan money. There was a time when most average income earners could save and pay for the bulk of their children's 4-year college education. That's pretty much out of reach now for all but the wealthy elite.
Constitutional checks on far-reaching executive, legislative, and yes, even judicial powers.
As for the free beer, free condoms, free college, and free healthcare... I just don't see that happening.
I mean, you could try and cob something together for a few years or even a few decades, but socialism seldom ever ends well for everyone; though the elites who are in control usually do quite well, just as with any elites in any given political scheme. Even the old socialist/welfare states in Europe are beginning to rethink things now.