Mold and Health

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 13, 2010 8:31 PM GMT
    I discovered mold in my room and so I started cleaning it and although I am not finished yet I got this itchy cough. I can't imagine it being from the mold, should I stop cleaning it?
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 13, 2010 9:30 PM GMT
    Honestly it depends on the mold. Where do you live? Are you in university housing? Do you have a flat? If you answered yes to either of those questions, then you should tell your landlord/housing person about the mold so they can have someone look at it. I am not sure how regulations in the UK work, but the landlords have the responsibility to deal with those types of things. If it's your house, then that's a different matter. I don't know how much stock you put into wikipedia, but this article may have some information for you to use as a starting point:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold_health_issues
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 13, 2010 9:54 PM GMT
    HungGarSig saidHonestly it depends on the mold. Where do you live? Are you in university housing? Do you have a flat? If you answered yes to either of those questions, then you should tell your landlord/housing person about the mold so they can have someone look at it. I am not sure how regulations in the UK work, but the landlords have the responsibility to deal with those types of things. If it's your house, then that's a different matter. I don't know how much stock you put into wikipedia, but this article may have some information for you to use as a starting point:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold_health_issues


    Thanks for replying man! If it was student housing I would have gotten another room or a significant discount by now. I live in a Flatshare with a horrible landlord. I've decided to move a few weeks ago. It is just a pain to find something in central London, so while I am here I'd like it to be removed. I just removed the visible parts, but I really feel ill after it. But that's probably just paranoia. I am gonna check out the link.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 13, 2010 10:17 PM GMT
    Any communication you have with your landlord about the mold should be kept. You should be able to report him to some agency or housing commission for being a bad landlord. Also keep a record of your symptoms (what they are, when they occurred, how long they lasted). If you should develop something serious (and I pray that you haven't/don't) all of this information will come in handy during litigation afterward.

    Take care of yourself!
    -Chris
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 13, 2010 10:39 PM GMT
    Mold can be deadly. It can be a serious health issue. If it's manifested in your walls.... YOU GOT PROBLEMS!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 13, 2010 11:12 PM GMT
    HungGarSig saidAny communication you have with your landlord about the mold should be kept. You should be able to report him to some agency or housing commission for being a bad landlord. Also keep a record of your symptoms (what they are, when they occurred, how long they lasted). If you should develop something serious (and I pray that you haven't/don't) all of this information will come in handy during litigation afterward.

    Take care of yourself!
    -Chris


    Holy crap! That wikipedia link scared me, I really hope I will not get sick because of it. It's fresh mold I just discovered so I hope it's not that bad. I took note of what you said above here and I will definitely act upon it. Pfff... really frustrating as I should be focusing on school not on my housing condition.

    @ Hillie, I don't know if it's in the walls, I've only lived here for 2 months. So I hope not.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 13, 2010 11:23 PM GMT
    If you have any mycologist friends (people who study mold) or know people who do, they may be able to have a look for free (which would be great!!). In the mean time, get a dehumidifier (with a HEPA filter). If yo ucan keep the area dry the mold won't be a problem once it's cleaned up.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 14, 2010 12:02 AM GMT
    yeah, mold is a bad thing. they've got some fun spores that would likely be contributing to your respiratory symptoms. And i agree with the previous replies and advice.