Funkapottomous saidI have a Vfusion like tony, but I've been thinking of taking up shaving with a straight razor. I figure if I can spend twenty bucks on a nice blade, and keep it sharp I'll save a ton of money in the long run.
Ah, the beginnings of an obsession...
I hope that if is a vintage razor your are buying for $20 and not a new one (even a vintage @$20 is asking for a dull, pitted razor...) A new razor for $20 will be made in Pakistan- and you really will not want to subject your face to that. After that you have a strop for $15 - $60 depending on what you buy, a good quality soap and a badger brush (wait until you develp the habit before you buy a silver tip...)
I think it has been a decade since I have picked up an electric razor- I can not use them anymore. 95% of the time it is a straight razor, the other 5% is made up of a double edge or a feather. Maybe once a year I will break down due to being in a rush and use a Mach III.
I know you have likely found a few places on the 'net dedicated to straight razor shaving- if you want any info / thoughts feel free to PM me. If you are planning on keeping any facial hair and need to trim around it go for the spike. It will take awhile longer and you will always need to be aware of where the tip is, but it will be your best bet for good results.