I'm right there with you... well maybe more stocky and less beefy.
So really I'm on a three-way attack to get to be a muscle bear:
1. eating all my veggies, whole grains and lean meat, and eating fats sparingly.
2. On gym days I do 20 min cardio to get my heart rate up, then I to heavy weights, 6-9 reps targeting failur at rep 8 or 9. when i can do 10, I up the weight - your basic muscle mass building routine.
3. I commute by bike, or spend a large part of my work day walking, and a 'fat burning' burning pace.
My favourite treats:
- a sauna after every workout, when practical.
- sushi with with white rice once a week (the rest of the week any rice I eat for carbs is brown (sweet, long grain, short grain, basmaiti...)
- a pint or two with fries and a burger at happy hour once a week.
"I don't want to live a minute longer if I have to starve to death to do so" ;)