Sylas saidDoes anybody NOT like the word queer besides me? ....Why would anyone refer to themselves as queer. I mean I like the idea of what I heard gender queer means...I just don't like the term.
And I agree though that gay means too many things to too many people. But I don't agree at all with where he is coming from in his ideas.
Well, straight means a lot of things to many people. Everything from Ozzie and Harriet and the Cleavers from Leave it to Beaver to Ozzie and the Osbournes.
I don't like the term queer either.
adj. queer·er, queer·est
1. Deviating from the expected or normal; strange: a queer situation.
2. Odd or unconventional, as in behavior; eccentric. See Synonyms at strange.
3. Of a questionable nature or character; suspicious.
4. Slang Fake; counterfeit.
5. Feeling slightly ill; queasy.
6. Offensive Slang Homosexual.
7. Usage Problem Of or relating to lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, or transgendered people.
1. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual person.
2. Usage Problem A lesbian, gay male, bisexual, or transgendered person.
tr.v. queered, queer·ing, queers Slang
1. To ruin or thwart: "might try to queer the Games with anything from troop movements . . . to a bomb attack" (Newsweek).
2. To put (someone) in a bad position."
..I think being gay or Bi is as normal as normal can be, just like straights. They're just not considered as societal norms due to fear and bigotry. Or, homophobia and homobigotry.
Our percentage in the human race will always be small, but so are a lot of other traits, like very blond hair with brown eyes, or very dark skin with the most brilliant of green or blue eyes.
Quite wonderful, really.