Columbusite777 saidSocialism is being used an awful lot this day in age to describe a number of politicians and their ideas and policies. As such, I have just a few questions for you all because I want to see how the 'average' man views it:
1) How do you define Socialism
2) How do you view it, i.e. good or bad?
3a) If you view it as bad, why?
3b) If you view it as good, why?
4) Can it be viewed as good for certain countries and bad for others?
Short, succinct answers of any type will more than suffice. Thanks for your answers.
1. Socialism is an economic and political theory advocating public or common ownership and cooperative management of the means of production and allocation of resources. A socialist society is organized on the basis of relatively equal power-relations, self-management, dispersed decision-making (adhocracy) and a reduction or elimination of hierarchical and bureaucratic forms of administration and governance, the extent of which varies in different types of socialism. This ranges from the establishment of cooperative management structures to the abolition of all hierarchical structures in favor of free association.
More info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socialism
2. I was born and grew up in socialist country that doesn't exist anymore ( former Yugoslavia ). I've had perfectly happy childhood, and therefore I don't have any bad memories about living in socialist country. However, in the late 80's/early 90's nationalist in every former republic came to power (Tudjman in Croatia, Milosevic in Serbia, Izetbegovic in Bosnia ) and that was absolutely wrong. There is nothing worse than extreme nationalist.
3. Today, I live in China, which is one of the few countries in the world with socialist/communist system. But, Chinese socialism is overlapping with capitalism, so it's not easy to define it. Let's say that economy is free, but human rights are not. Chinese government practice heavy censorship on the internet ( no FB, or Youtube, for example ), but, at least, they allow RJ
4. All in all, socialist idea of human society is good and not wrong. But, turns out that in real life that idea just didn't work out due to human factor (greedy fucking politicians).