six meals a day...

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jun 29, 2007 5:56 PM GMT
    I keep hearing everyone here and other places saying that "if you want to build muscle you have to have six meals a day. One every 2-3 hours."

    My questions about this are:

    How big are these meals supposed to be then?

    What should they include?

    Is it really possible to have six meals a day?

    Is it really possible to eat one every 2-3 hours? (what if work prevents you from that)


    Any and all help regarding this would be apperciated.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jun 29, 2007 6:31 PM GMT
    My trainer's recommend the book "Power Eating." Check it out at:

    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Eating-Susan-Kleiner/dp/0736066985/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5000833-0266321?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183141892&sr=8-1
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jun 29, 2007 7:25 PM GMT
    This was really popular among a flock of summer interns that I worked with 8 or 10 years ago. Basically, they carried backpacks full of food around. It seemed like they were always either eating, brushing, or flossing. The ringleaders were extremely buff, though.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jun 29, 2007 9:11 PM GMT
    When you want to do this, you need to figure out how many calories you need in a day in order to put on quality mass. So each meal needs to be roughly 1/6 of that number. You can always divvy up the calories as needed, like a little bit more in the morning meals for the energy and a little less in the evening meals to even it out.

    The meals should include a good balance of protein, carbs and fats. Yes, fats. Your body actually needs fat to survive. Some nutrients are fat soluble and need fat to travel to needed areas in the body. Fat is used for insulation and cushioning of the vital organs, but I've gone off tangent again. They, meaning nutritionists suggest that no more than 20% of the meal's calories should come from fat, meaning the remaining 80% come from protein and carbs. Low glycemic carbohydrates are a source of sustained energy because they take longer for the body to digest. High glycemic carbohydrates are a source for a quick boost of energy and are burned quickly. Stick with lean proteins, like white-meat poultry, fish or egg whites.

    And yes it is really possible to eat six times a day. Think of it this way: you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don't you also eat snacks? That would count as a "meal" too.

    It really is possible to eat every 2-3 hours. It just takes planning on your part. At work? Prepare food in advance at home and take it to work. Out and about? Take along food that travels well. You don't have to have tupperware containers with you wherever you go, but meal replacement bars, sandwiches, bags of trail mix and mixed nuts travel well.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jul 02, 2007 2:38 AM GMT
    For me it has really made a difference, and although it is difficult to maintain it while working, it is possible. I make my meals and take them to work. Sometimes making several days worth of food at once.

    A common "meal" for me would be a grilled chicken breast and a baked sweet patato or brown rice. This is a easy "at work" meal to pop into the microwave.

    For me, keeping the meals around 200-350 calories works the best. Not only does it help me recover from hard workouts, it has also kept my body fat down. A meal can also be a protien bar and a piece of fruit. Most of the time I find myself still eating 3 larger meals a day but separated with snack meals in between. Stop resisting, give it a real effort and you will see the benifits.

    there are lots of resources out to consult