"Burn the Fat" blog takes on HIIT claims.

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2008 7:00 PM GMT
    What's your take on this?
    -------------------------

    “Steady State Cardio Proven 5 X More Effective Than HIIT!”

    Tom Venuto

    High Intensity Interval Training, or HIIT for short, has been promoted as one of the most effective training methods ever to come down the pike, both for fat loss and for cardiovascular fitness. One of the most popular claims for HIIT is that it burns “9 times more fat” than conventional (steady state) cardio. This figure was extracted from a study performed by Angelo Tremblay at Laval University in 1994. But what if I told you that HIIT has never been proven to be 9 times more effective than regular cardio… What if I told you that the same study actually shows that HIIT is 5 times less effective than steady state cardio??? Read on and see the proof for yourself.

    http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2008/04/steady_state_cardio_proven_5_x.php

  • Muunrakur

    Posts: 169

    Apr 12, 2008 8:43 PM GMT
    Thats really interesting. . . my partner was talking to his trainer about my love affair with cardio (as a former distance runner, I'd rather spend two hours on the treadmill than do anything else at the gym) and the trainer gave him all this interval information to bring me... now I feel better about just plodding along and having a nice, long, head-clearing run.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2008 8:56 PM GMT
    the thing is with HIIT the claims are based on EPOC yet they still dont fully understand the impact of EPOC and there seems to be vast assumptions and leaps of faith made in the claim.

    Besides which seldom do self trained individuals truly do HIIT only what they consider to be HIIT. As its based on Perceived rate of exertion

    Its all hype and just another Elite trainer trying to steal anothers thunder Venuto v Cosgrove, Ballantyne v Darden.

    At the end of the day you look at the variation in claims and we are talking ounces differential any way.

    At the end of the day diet is a million times more effective as it takes no effort

  • Squarejaw

    Posts: 1035

    Apr 12, 2008 9:05 PM GMT
    What EPOC?
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2008 9:09 PM GMT
    Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption ie the afterburn

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2008 10:57 PM GMT
    So much conflicting information! All thats left to do is sit in front of the TV and eat reeses peanut butter cups and play dance dance revolution.
    dance fat kid, dance
  • GettingFitter

    Posts: 158

    Apr 12, 2008 11:15 PM GMT
    RBY71 saidSo much conflicting information! All thats left to do is sit in front of the TV and eat reeses peanut butter cups and play dance dance revolution.
    dance fat kid, dance


    icon_eek.gif Is that kid real ? Because if he is then the parents should be charged with child abuse for letting him get that fat icon_sad.gif
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2008 11:27 PM GMT
    GettingFitter saidIs that kid real ? Because if he is then the parents should be charged with child abuse for letting him get that fat icon_sad.gif


    The only one guilty of a crime is that kid for having such fly moves!icon_biggrin.gif
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2008 11:34 PM GMT
    GettingFitter said[quote][cite]RBY71 said[/cite]So much conflicting information! All thats left to do is sit in front of the TV and eat reeses peanut butter cups and play dance dance revolution.
    dance fat kid, dance


    icon_eek.gif Is that kid real ? Because if he is then the parents should be charged with child abuse for letting him get that fat icon_sad.gif
    [/quote]

    but if he continues this exercise at this intensity for 30 minutes a day, he will definitely lose the weight.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 13, 2008 12:13 AM GMT
    haha sorry to keep off topic..but i'm pretty sure that little child is of the female-variety
  • GettingFitter

    Posts: 158

    Apr 13, 2008 1:03 AM GMT
    jackozmodernlife saidhaha sorry to keep off topic..but i'm pretty sure that little child is of the female-variety


    icon_eek.gif NO WAY ! DAMN !

    oh, and jackozmodernlife - that avatar pic is very nice icon_wink.gif


    But back to the topic - personally I think you should just stick to what is working for you and helping you hack off the fat, which for me is definately spin classes. I find it is really helping me loose weight quickly and effectively along with my weight training and diet. I also agree with those posted before that diet is 90 % of what is the deal breaker when it comes to loosing weight and getting your bum nice and firm.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 13, 2008 2:43 AM GMT
    GettingFitter said[quote][cite]RBY71 said[/cite]So much conflicting information! All thats left to do is sit in front of the TV and eat reeses peanut butter cups and play dance dance revolution.
    dance fat kid, dance


    icon_eek.gif Is that kid real ? Because if he is then the parents should be charged with child abuse for letting him get that fat icon_sad.gif
    [/quote]

    There would be a ton of parents put away then, as there are more kids this kids size than there are healhy size these days. IT's really heart breaking. Especially when you know the parents ultimately control what foods come into the house and what the kid eats 80% of the time. (The other 20% is eating at school or when he's over a friends house).
  • GettingFitter

    Posts: 158

    Apr 13, 2008 6:22 AM GMT
    muscletrainerdh said[quote][cite]GettingFitter said[/cite][quote][cite]RBY71 said[/cite]So much conflicting information! All thats left to do is sit in front of the TV and eat reeses peanut butter cups and play dance dance revolution.
    dance fat kid, dance


    icon_eek.gif Is that kid real ? Because if he is then the parents should be charged with child abuse for letting him get that fat icon_sad.gif
    [/quote]

    There would be a ton of parents put away then, as there are more kids this kids size than there are healhy size these days. IT's really heart breaking. Especially when you know the parents ultimately control what foods come into the house and what the kid eats 80% of the time. (The other 20% is eating at school or when he's over a friends house).
    [/quote]

    Its the same over here in Oz. I haven't noticed it before, but a lot of little kids and even babies are really big, like double-chin and muffin top fat when they should be at an age where they are supposed to be rail thin and bounding around with heaps of energy.