Republicans are trying to turn Perry into their "Messiah" because the other Republican presidential candidates are horrendous. Republicans outside of Texas are excited about Perry because they are nor familiar with his record, style of politics, and have not been paying attention for the last 20+ years.
Texas Republicans won't support Perry. Here is why:
1) Perry is a big government, career politician.
2) The total debt in Texas has doubled under Rick Perry. He used government stimulus money to balance the budget.
3) Perry wanted to secede from the Union. Then, asked for government funds to help with Texas wildfire disaster.
4) Rick Perry has spearheaded the effort to lease roads in Texas to foreign companies, to turn roads that are already free to drive on into toll roads, and to develop the Trans-Texas Corridor which would be part of the planned NAFTA superhighway system.
5) Rick Texas has repeatedly raised taxes in Texas as governor. Texans are faced with significantly higher taxes than before Perry was governor.
6) 23 states have better unemployment records than Texas even though Texas economy is based in oil/gas.
7) Perry was a democrat that supported Al Gore
Texas has the highest percentage of workers making minimum wage out of all 50 states.
9) Rick Perry often gives speeches about illegal immigration, but when you look at the facts, he has been incredibly soft on the issue.
10) Rick Perry actually issued an executive order in 2007 that would have forced almost every single girl in the state of Texas to receive the Gardasil vaccine before entering the sixth grade. Perry had "connections" with Merck to receive campaign contributions.
11) Texas has the highest number of residents without health insurance.