kockyjock saidBoys, I used to do a lot of cardio and now wanna start to bulk up. At the stores I go to, there are tones of protein shakes but I don't know which one is best to buy. So which are the best protein shakes and when should I normally drink em for maximum benefit? I used to be a runner and still run a fair bit. My calves, quads and butt is rock hard, but I wanna bulk up with the arms and the pecs. So fire off with the advice.
1. As you can see everyone has an opinion and noone totally agrees.
2. You should read labels and look for what you think will be the best for your body chemistry. For example if you are allergic/lactose intolerant to all things dairy...Casein, while excellent - especially for a pre-sleep shake, will not be good for you. Do your research, read some labels, and find out what is junk and what isn't.
3. As for brands, I to look for, I used to be a strictly Muscle Milk guy....but after i put it in my plastic bottle, stirred, and still had chocolatey chunks that looked like "chocolate squirts", I had it and made the switch to ISOPURE which disolves fantastically into water (my preferred method of protein delivery). Don't get me wrong, MM gave me good gains but Isopure is helping with lean muscle and in general tastes better to me. On the flip, its also more expensive.
4. Test many different varieties and see which one YOU like. Only you know what will work the best for you. So try them out.
5. Check out JNModesto's post - he had some good stuff about the different types of protein.
Thats all and good luck.
PS - GQJock - what you have stated is not entirely true. Look at Olympic Track and Field Stars (sprinters)
vs Olympic Long Distance Runners
. Completely different body make up - you can totally build mass and be a strong runner - but you need to do it in short explosive bursts and not for long distances. It's in those bursts that some how you gain muscle mass. Do not ask me how.