Ever Eat Diatomaceous Earth? (What the hell is a "healing crisis"?)

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 01, 2011 9:20 PM GMT
    Some of my friends are planning to supplement with food grade D.E.
    I remember hearing the term only when my folks used it in the pool filter when I was a kid.
    "Don't touch it!", they'd warn.
    Never thought of actually ingesting the stuff.

    When I Google for info, most of the websites are marketers....kinda sounds like snake oil.
    Most intriguing part is warning of a "healing crisis" as your body detoxes.
    Yikes.icon_razz.gif




  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 02, 2011 4:13 AM GMT
    From what I've seen, it's used to treat parasites, like fleas. The dust attaches to the pests and kills them. It begs the question....what parasites do your friend have living in their digestive systems? Why would they think they would need such a thing?

    I still think that the coffee enema that was recommended to me might be worse.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 02, 2011 4:22 AM GMT
    Ew !!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 02, 2011 4:28 AM GMT
    It's a natural insect killer (dehydrates 'em from the inside out just by getting absorbed through their skin) that's non-toxic to humans and pets. I don't think I'll be using it to detox or build muscle anytime soon though.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 02, 2011 4:32 AM GMT
    I read about this months ago in my search to rid my plants of tiny bugs.

    I will not eat diatomaceous earth
    I will not eat it skinnybitch I amth
  • dancedancekj

    Posts: 1761

    Oct 02, 2011 4:41 AM GMT
    It sounds like it would be... painful coming out.
    There is the hypothesis that since IgE antibodies are used to combat parasites, allergies are more commonplace due to the fact IgE antibodies are not being utilized anymore with the absence of parasites in modern humans.

    I've actually researched innoculating myself with pinworms to cure my allergies. Minus the fact that you cough so hard you vomit during the initial infestation and the fact I work in one of the few professions that uses nitrous oxide on a regular basis (which kills the worms) it would be totally worth it.

    In conclusion, a couple parasites aren't going to kill your friends. Chances are, they don't even know of the ones they have already, and if it should be a problem - they will know and should get medical attention, not swallowing gritty, sharp, hydroscopic silica...
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 03, 2011 12:38 AM GMT
    Mostly it seems to be for use with livestock.
    From what I can find online, people would take it for detoxing.
    ....and to have a shiny coat.
  • fmrhugger

    Posts: 199

    Oct 03, 2011 1:03 AM GMT
    DE is used as a filter medium in swimming pool filters. You just pour the white powder into the skimmers and it clings to the vanes inside the filter.

    Never ate any. icon_eek.gif
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 03, 2011 1:05 AM GMT
    It's used for aquarium filters as well. It's pricey, but it's supposed to make the water crystal clear. I'm just not sure why people would use it for "detoxing" since it only kills parasites as far as I know.
  • barriehomeboy

    Posts: 2475

    Oct 03, 2011 1:22 AM GMT
    What kind of shit do you have in your liver if eating rat poison is healthier??!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 03, 2011 1:33 AM GMT
    From what I've read, the DE used in pool filters has been chemically processed and would be toxic if ingested. If you're going to eat DE, make sure it's food grade.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 03, 2011 3:45 AM GMT
    Just that D word would scare me and prevent me from eating it. icon_eek.gif