Hey all,

A little different than my normal forums. Just an update on what's happening locally and wondering if anyone knows more about their local occupies feel free to add.

As soon as word got out that it was legal to camp in a park, the homeless abandoned their squats, and joined the mass of idealistic hipsters. From a social service perspective I was glad they had a place to live within city limits.

However, "the movement" changed with the influx. After a week, the council decided that the homeless couldn't eat any of the community food. It didn't stop them from leaking to reporters that if the movement wasn't there, their would be no services for the homeless. (I probably don't need to say it, but I will, there were services long before occupy, and they will continue long after it's gone).

The next step was to designate a space for the homeless. The council told the homeless to move their tents to either side of the park. Although the council had already made plans with the city to move to a different park. So, there was the occupy for the homeless, and the much smaller occupy for disenchanted students.

The original occupy soon segregated mostly by age, race, and homeless status. The largest groups were the chronically homeless (only white), followed by the traveling homeless (also only white), then the navajos. The ethnic hispanic group melded into the Navajos, but was never fully integrated, while the few other races, primarily people who are black, tried to get in with the different groups to share resources and protection.

Protection became the biggest issue. With the majority of the council moving to another location, snow and below freezing temperatures, other issues, fights began to breakout. Mostly in the early mornings while most people were asleep.

Shortly after a large fight, a man was found dead in a tent. He did of substances in conjunction with exposure.

The city took immediate action. They informed the council that they would have to move that night. Normally, groups are allowed the process of eviction, which is an official posting at the site, and seven days to move.

As the homeless service providers rallied and entered the park, they found the majority of the homeless unaware or confused about the eviction. With only a few hours before they had to be evicted, the word was that the protesters had a team of lawyers who would protect the homeless. It didn't take a whole lot to convince the homeless that this may be like the other promises made to them by the protesters. So, as the snow fell, tents were packed, grocery carts filled, wheelchairs pushed, and service agencies came in early or on their day off to accommodate the exodus.

There was a lot of confusion, and trauma was evident. Some people had been living in the park for more than a month. It's hard to understand what that means for those with nothing but what they can carry.

So, take what you will, and add what you like.