Here are a few thoughts that might help you:
1. No one is going to do this for you. The way to get fit is to get up and start the process.
2. It is not easy. Most of us are not gifted with the great genes that make you look ripped without even trying. The guys on this site (and the ones you are seeing IRL) put a lot of time and effort into looking good.
3. Getting your attitude in shape is as important as losing the weight. Lack of self-confidence and poor self-image will undermine your efforts very effectively. You have to get your head in the right space and not lose your focus.
4. It's a lifestyle. The gym, sports, diet, nutrition, and all of the components that make up healthy, active living may involve a lifestyle change for you. The great thing is that adopting this lifestyle means that you'll make friends who are also interested in the same things, and most likely, they'll be the kind of guys that you want to meet.
5. Do it for yourself. Living healthy,being active, having a positive attitude, and eating right are things that will make your life better. Don't try to do these things for another guy. Do them for you.
6. Don't do it alone. Going into the gym as an overweight guy trying to figure out how to use equipment and make an exercise routine can be really intimidating. Go in with the attitude that you aren't perfect and that you need to learn, and then talk to people about fitness. Ask questions. Talk to a trainer. Find guys who are examples you'd like to follow, and ask them about their routines. And if people act like jerks when you ask them questions, move on to someone else who will take the time to answer.
The guys on this site can be extremely helpful to you, especially when you've got questions. There are also a lot of guys who have made big transitions from being very overweight to being ripped. They post pictures and thoughts about their transitions, and you can find a bunch of threads in the forums about this.
Good luck, and keep posting your thoughts so that we can see your progress!