misternick saidRemember in The Fifth Element when passengers would board and get in their little cubby hole and were gassed asleep so that they were conked out for the entire flight? How far away is that?
I've heard of more and more people just shipping their luggage rather than checking it. I think there's a lot of good idea there.
Way back shortly after all the airport security theatre annoyance measures were introduced by our friendly neighbourhood TSA goons... I figured air travel by the 2010s would resemble this:
1. Checking in - travelers arrive at terminal and are have their baggage weighed and taxed. Overweight passengers are charged for two berths if over normal height/weight standards. First class and moms with infants are escorted to the privileged lounge, where they feast on roast duck and caviar until their boarding time is called.
2. Security processing - common travelers (hereinafter: "cattle") check ALL of their baggage, there is no carry-ons permitted (except for mothers w/infants and first class). Everyone else is made to disrobe completely and given an ill-fitting linen robe.
3. Gassing - travelers are staged into a conveyor belt where they lay into it face down. Belt moves through a sleep-gassing room, and then through a full body scan machine. Body cavity searches conducted as needed by capable TSA agents (who have all sorts of cams and data storage capacity for later upload to the interwebs).
4. Loading - gassed travelers are removed from the belt and stacked like cordwood in the aircraft and are strapped in.
5. First class and other privileged travelers board, and are utterly removed from the circumstances of the cattle traveling in the back.
6. In flight - hookers and 8-balls of coke are provided to first class as requested, along with other premium entertainment; cattle slumber unaware as their under regulated biological processes process waste material in no manner that is pleasant - except for a few watersport and scat fetishists with frequent flyer mileage.
7. Extraction/disembarkation - first class disembarks to be escorted by airline service personnel to baggage retrieval and customs; the cattle in the back are offloaded onto waiting conveyors and are "wake-gassed" (or injected with a waking drug).
8. The cattle are then led to a gang shower where they can wash off the accumulated sweat, shit, and piss from themselves under a stream of undiffused moderate pressure cold water (remember, everyday low prices by Wal-Air)... and can wrestle each other for space near the surrendered clothing reclaim carousel.
9. Checked Baggage Claim: unchanged, although by the time the cattle arrive, first class is long gone and living life large.