I've heard the theory that dead-end small towns are hotbeds of attractive young people (who become middle-aged wrecks). The reasoning is thus:
1. Attractive early-maturing people get lots of sex at a young age.
2. Girlfriends get pregnant at 17.
3. Forced marriage and minimum-wage dead end job follow, instead of college or other means of escape.
4. Alcohol, cigarrettes, television, junk food... attractive young people fade into...something else.
5. New crop of attractive young people enter school in the small dead-end town
It's just a theory.