My dad is a retired electronics engeineer so I grew up with steros, TV sets, designing my own circuit boards, and my hobby was shouting into mics connected to ocilloscopes... And when I was in college, Calc and physics (Newton and electromagnects) were my favorite courses, my side job was wiring people's stereos and TV's for $,and a small time local night club DJ..
That being said, I have REALLY BAD THINGS to say about BOSE, a company founded by MIT grad DR BOSE from India... Bad products AND terrible company ethics...
1. BOSE makes comparatively bad products. It is the only company which requires al their dealers to give their sale persons 10% commission, while all other manufactures SUGGEST 6%.
2. BOSE will requires all their dealers to dislpay thier suround products AWAY from other brands AND only use thier own demonstration material on BOSE stands, which only sound good on BOSE systems. This is to avoid direct comparison. Direct comparison is vital as the human hearing is heavily afected by psychoacoustics and colored by memory and favor a product that produces louder sound with artificially hyped mid bas and mid highs. Superior products need challenging material to show off the ability to reproduce all spectrum of sound (lowest lows and highest highs with low distortion and no dips and hypes in frequency response.)
4. BOSE is also known to send out employees pretending to be sales persons around their demonstrations to hype the "wow" factor in stores.
3. BOSE invest $ in advertizement with quotes from "critics" of paied employees or people who knows nothing about audio or electronics. Just because someone writes for the Boston Globe does not mean this person is either an electronics engineer or musician.
4. Objective testing of BOSE products were poor and BOSE, being the unethical company, SUES all of them. That include Comsumer Reports, where the lawsuit was persued by BOSE for years all the way to the Supreme Court and then thrown out... You never see objective testing of BOSE products in specialized electronics publications... Ever think why?
5. BOSE is a very mean and litigatious comapny, who sues everyone it does not like, including the Comsumer Electronics ORganization, or such as suing Cambridge SoundWorks for using the term "LifeStyle" in their advertizements.
6. The anti noise ear phones BOSE sold to the government was deemed poor at doing the designed tasks and had to be replaced by another government contractor as the parts BOSE used in thier porducts wer all out of date and not made anymore...
Do your research on BOSE products. I tis expensive and poorly made.
There is a saying: BOSE is for thoes who don't know...
WHATEVER PRODUCT YOU WANT TO INVEST, OTHER MANUFACUTRES MAKE BETTER AND CHEAPER THAN BOSE.