Found this online today, read and judge for yourselfhttp://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/6/18/134047/614/81/537906
Story basically says that they are currently only drilling only 17% of the area that the oil companies have leases for. If they were to start drilling in the other 83% it could double the current national output of oil and raise natural gas production by 75% without going into ANWAR or into the currently banned offshore areas.
Oil companies basically want the rights to the new lands so that in 25 years or so when oil is really expensive they can drill then.
John43620 saidWe're in this mess because the Democrats have been blocking domestic production for decades.
The current oil ban dates from 1981, The senate was Republican majority, the House was Democratic.
Also if congress lifts the drilling ban Bush would have to rescind an executive order that also bans drilling in the contested areas. The Executive ban was signed by the noted democrat George Bush Sr.
John stewart said it best a few months ago
We have an oil man for president, and oil prices quadruple during his term. I'm not implying anything, but if Colonel Sanders was president, and chicken prices skyrocketed...
as Colbert_nation said above, it's more about oil companies not producing to keep prices up, putting money in their own pockets at the expense of the little guy.
and drilling would take years to impact prices, and then only minimally.
ANWAR is not the answer, we should preserve some areas of this earth, as they are instead of turning it all into an oil field.
We should take this as sign to use what we have more efficiently. We as a race are stupid and lazy, after the oil embargoes of the 70's, efficient cars came out, and people looked at ways to ween ourselves off oil. Then in the 80's supplies rebounded, and prices dropped, so what do we do instead of keep up conservation? We have the Hummer, and other low gas milage cars.
If we aren't pushed to choose alternative fuels, even without a rope as John43620 said, we won't go for it. sometimes the carrot approach just doesn't work, and you have to get the stick out, in this case the stick costs $4 a gallon. What if gas was $8.75 a gallon like it is currently in the UK?
We should be looking to get off oil, not just to keep the price down, but also to keep the environment together. How much crap are we putting into the air, and thus also into our bodies?