As a naturopath, medial practitioner and lecturer, I get asked similar questions every day. Here are a few key tips to remember.
1) Maintaining a healthy weight is a lifestyle, not a one-time event; therefore, every choice you make each and every part of every day is vital. This includes your diet, frequency of exercise, drinking or smoking, and rest.
2) It takes one molecule of water to metabolize one molecule of fatty acid. Therefore, to loose weight, you should drink your body’s weight in ounces every day. Drink a large glass of water first thing in the morning. Then at least one large glass of water every two hours or less. Then a large glass at night. You can loose up to a quart of water just with breathing.
3) Increase your diet with healthy fats. A good omega 3:6:9 will jump start your fat conversion process in your body. I know it sounds crazy to take in fat when you are trying to loose fat. But your body needs a catalyst, which is a healthy fat that it can use to start the energy conversion process.
4) Take a multiple enzyme with meals. You can purchase them at a good health food store. It will help your digestive process to break down the foods, so that your body can utilize the nutrients, rather than store them in fatty acids.
5) Most Americans have impacted a colon, which is what gives the bulk in the “spare tire” around the waist. Take a good pro-biotic. The product Primal Defense (found at any good health food store or online) is the best. Cleaning your colon and GI tract will help your body rid itself of the metabolic waste generated from exercising.
6) Exercise daily…even if it taking a walk around the block first thing in the morning, and once in the evenings. Studies have shown that frequent exercise and water, most participants lost 15 to 40 pounds within 6 to 12 weeks.
7) Importantly, increase your intake of raw fruits, vegetables, and nuts. These combined will give your body all that is needed to produce the 22 amino acids it needs to function. According to the China Study (buy the book), diets void of raw foods and high in animal protein are the cause of cancers and obesity. I know that flies in the face of the Atkins fans and most personal trainers, but the studies world-wide over the past 30 years have confirmed this. Of course, America has the highest protein consumption, and America has the highest cancer rates and obesity…does not take a rocket-scientist to draw some correlations and conclusions.
8) Place several pictures of those who have the physique you would like to achieve on your bathroom mirror. That way, each morning when you take your shower, you be reminded daily of your goal. It will take time and perseverance.
I hope that has helped.
Brendon M. Hall, C.N.C.