I didn't say his intentions were completely bad, but he's trying to sell a book. His intentions aren't completely pure either. One way or another he'll make money off of this. He'll get a lot of media exposure and maybe even get a Reality TV show.
Isn't that what business is all about? Trying to promote and sell the product you are creating? It doesn't make it any less sincere or effective and it doesn't mean it won't inspire others who need inspiration. Why not commend him for trying to take a different approach to this difficult topic? Did you think the movie, "Supersize Me" was pure gimmick? In many ways it was, but what were the end results? "Supersize" as an option went away. More healthy choices at McD's and other fast food joints become available.
DudeInNOVA saidThis bothers me because he's over simplifying what overweight and obese people have to do to get into shape. It's different for everybody. The same diet and workout plan won't work for everybody. It's not just psychological. It's physical too, including hormone imbalances and genetics.
How is he oversimplifying this? He's taking 6 months
to take the weight off. That's an average of about 3 pounds per week. Tell that to a morbidly obese person that you can help them lose weight by 3 pounds per week and their response is probably going to be, "that sounds like too much work over too much time. I'll just wait til I can afford the surgery". The problem with obese people is that they OVERCOMPLICATE the process. What Drew is trying to show is that it is possible with the right plan. And, honestly, that's just the plain truth.
And, no, the same plan won't work for everyone. But for 98% of the overweight population, it probably will. Otherwise, the other 2% need to go see a doctor. If every plan in any line of business were to not move forward because of 2% of fallibility, we'd all still be stuck in the dark ages.
DudeInNOVA saidHe was already in shape before he gained the weight. It's much easier to lose weight if you were in shape before. Actors do it all the time. It's just not the same. I think it will be discouraging to people who follow his plan without success. It can take time to find the right combination of diet and exercise to improve your body, but people give up because they buy into the "just to this and you'll look like a model" hype, and it doesn't work.
Who's to say it's much easier to lose weight if you were in shape before? Tell that to the thousands of mothers who never lost the "baby weight" after having kids. Why didn't they lose the weight? Because they didn't change the way they ate and/or the way they were/were not physical throughout the day. And I know plenty of men who once were super fit and became obese and struggle to lose the weight. Why? Because of unhealthy diets, lack of exercise, too much stress, and too much beer.
DudeInNOVA saidI'm not completely dismissing his experience either. He has a better understanding of what it's like to be judged as a fat person. But as others have said, he could have done the same thing with a fat suit.
Do you really and truly believe that he could have done the same in a fat suit? You completely contradict your own assertions of the psychological (and emotional) aspects of being obese by saying this. He's not doing this for the judgement aspect. He's doing this to understand the struggles, day to day, of the weigh-in, of the change in eating habits, of the actual feeling of fat hanging on the body, of the actual physical differences deep within that you feel when eating healthy versus eating unhealthily, of being an actual, fat person.
DudeInNOVA saidThis has the feeling of more of a gimmick than a true experiment to me.
Gimmick or not, it's going to inspire people in the right way. Too often, TV portrays losing weight with simple before and after pictures. Drew is providing week by week progress photos, based on his available meal plans, to inspire others to stick with a plan to see the results. How anyone can dismiss this as a gimmick is a bit baffling to be honest. It's quite a gimmick for this guy to sacrifice an entire year of his life to getting fat then getting fit.