J.K. Rowling's Next Book - Will You Read?

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2012 2:47 PM GMT
    Summary from the Wall Street Journal http://on.wsj.com/HDCukh

    J.K. Rowling, the author of the “Harry Potter” book franchise, has announced that her next book will be titled “The Casual Vacancy.”

    The novel will be her first book for adults, and it is due out later this year. Rowling hasn’t said much about what the book is about, though she did tweet that it will be “Very different to Harry, although I’ve enjoyed writing it every bit as much.”

    According to Rowling’s publisher Little, Brown, the new book will be out September 27. The publisher put out this summary of the book:

    When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock.

    Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

    Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…Pagford is not what it first seems.

    And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

    Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.
  • calibro

    Posts: 8888

    Apr 12, 2012 4:45 PM GMT
    if she couldn't write for me when i was twelve, i'm not sure why she'll be able to do it now?
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2012 4:46 PM GMT
    Er, no.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2012 4:51 PM GMT
    That title is a yawner.
  • Laurence

    Posts: 942

    Apr 12, 2012 4:52 PM GMT
    Only if she's improved her writing since Harry Potter.

    What passes for writing for 10 year olds probably won't for adults.

    Loz
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2012 5:22 PM GMT
    Probably a 99% chance I will not. I am saving the 1% because we really don't yet know that much about the book.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2012 5:47 PM GMT
    She is a very rich, very famous celebrity. Unfortunately not an exceptional nor remarkable writer by any stretch.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2012 6:00 PM GMT
    Holy shit there are other people that didn't care for/like Harry Potter too? icon_eek.gif

    Honestly- this particular novel sounds interesting, but it is also JK Rowling...
  • Muscmasmat

    Posts: 124

    Apr 12, 2012 6:19 PM GMT
    Yep. Really enjoyed the Harry Potter books. She is a great story teller, despite some of the comments that have been made here. Everyone has different opinions about what is good writing and what is not. This is more and more apparent to me with the opinions I see in my two book clubs.

    Don"t know how she will fare with this book, but I would check it out to see.

    She certainly is not writing for the money, but probably because she wants to see if she can be successful as a writer outside of the Harry Potter genre. She has quite a reputation to uphold and a lot to lose. I think she is quite courageous to put this out there and see how it is received.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2012 6:32 PM GMT
    Just not interested. But then, I never did just sheepishly follow the masses. If something has worth and quality, I'll check it out.........but not simply because the crowd is flocking that way.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2012 6:44 PM GMT
    I think her writing style makes James Joyce look like he is stuttering but I wonder if the non magical subject can keep my attention. I never thought Harry potter was written for kids in the same manner that old Warner brothers cartoons weren't written for kids

  • Lincsbear

    Posts: 2603

    Apr 12, 2012 7:43 PM GMT
    No.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2012 7:49 PM GMT
    Yes! I can't wait.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 12, 2012 7:52 PM GMT
    Trollileo saidOne thing that I also appreciated about her is that as the characters grew older so did her writing style and it's very easy to see her evolution as a writer throughout the series.


    I am convinced she took a writing class between HP3 and HP4.