Wow! You guys are amazing; you're making it really hard to stick to a long weekend. Thank you all for your input. I'm going to try to organize this a little bit, so here is the RealJock Guide to Austin (so far):
Outdoors: Barton Springs, Town Lake (kayak, jogging), Hamilton Pool (waterfall, 30 mi from Austin), Green Belt, Hippie Hollow, (nudies!), Mount Bonnell, Disc Golf
Food and Drink: Oasis (at Lake Travis, great sunset lake view, okay food), Counter Cafe, Stubb's (bbq), Mikado (sushi), Whole Foods, Enoteca (italian), Hut's (burgers), Torchy's (tacos), Amy's or Austin Scoops(ice cream), Halcyon or Little City(coffee), Gingerman (beer), Moonshine (brunch), Hotel San Jose (drinks), Doc's Motorworks (drinks), Guero's (Mexican), Mother's (vegan), Aussie's (volleyball), Central Market, and restaurants on 2nd and 4th streets
Chuy's, Trudy's, and Kerby Lane were nominated and subsequently vetoed, haha
- Gay: OCH, Rain and Rainbow, "the bachelor's" bars on sixth street, Cockpit
- Mixed: Creekside Lounge, Side Bar, Beauty Bar, Mohawk, Elysium (sunday), Light Bar, Aquarium Bar, Jackalope
Sight-Seeing: UT Football game (saturday), Bats (Town Lake bridge), Alamo Drafthouses (Ritz, Master Pancake Theatre), Rollergirls, weird stuff on south and east side, Driskill Hotel, Neighborhoods east and west of South Congress
Shopping: Waterloo records, downtown and south congress, North Loop (angry lesbians, woohoo), Uncommon objects, Tesoros, Service Menswear (for the music, apparently).
I hadn’t mentioned that I am vegetarian, but that is okay cuz anyone visiting Austin can check this thread for the “best of”.
OK, so here’s my tentative list of must-see and must-do (sadly, excluding mickeytopogigio and hobronto for my own personal safety):
- Barton Springs, Town Lake, maybe Hippie Hollow and Mount Bonnell;
- Whole Foods, Mother's, Enoteca, Hut’s (veggie burgers!), Amy’s, Gingerman (cuz, you know beer is good for recovery…), Moonshine, Guero’s, Halcyon, Aussie's (wait a minute, how many meals am I even going to eat);
- I’m not a big bar goer, but I’ll probably check out at least one gay bar and one of XRugger’s “mixed” bars;
- Definitely have to see the bats, probably a movie, and “weird stuff” is really all you need to get my attention;
- Definitely shopping at waterloo (which will probably be the most expensive part of this trip), south congress, and north loop
And most importantly, as many Austin RJers as I can meet up with!! (I’ve got this assignment from art_smass that I need to work on)