Biohazard Tattoo

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jul 29, 2012 3:00 PM GMT
    After seeing a bunch of guys with the biohazard tattoo in one place or another I started to wonder if it had any particular meaning or if it was simply a "cool" tattoo to get.

    The other day I saw this rather fetching guy at the gym, who I've seen a bunch of times before, but today something was different. He had gotten one of those tattoos on his shoulder.

    Afterwards, I went home and checked it out online and sure enough, for the gay community having that tattoo meant someone was HIV positive.

    In some other searches it simply meant that that person was "hazardous to your health" which could mean anything.

    Does anyone out there have this tattoo and if so, what does it mean to you?
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jul 29, 2012 3:24 PM GMT
    HIV+

    That tattoo is kind of "1990's" though. Kind of like getting a "bar code" or "barbed wire" or any of a number of unoriginal designs.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jul 29, 2012 5:00 PM GMT
    Or they're just fans of the band, Biohazard. icon_neutral.gif
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jul 29, 2012 5:05 PM GMT
    The tattoo also became popular after the Band Biohazard had a few chart climbing hits...in one of their videos...every other fan in the audience was sporting that tattoo somewhere..
    It's really a popular tatt that is interpreted so many different ways..!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jul 29, 2012 7:17 PM GMT
    Dammit! I got the wrong tattoo!




    nuclear-waste-sign.jpg
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jul 29, 2012 8:30 PM GMT
    I find the tattoo odd. I don't see any other group of people who have a disease/illness/condition with tattoos that express their pride in that disease. What is there to be proud of? Now there is absolutely no shame in being HIV+, but proud? Maybe I'm missing something.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jul 29, 2012 8:32 PM GMT
    Ret*Tro*Vir*Us
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jul 29, 2012 8:59 PM GMT
    the tatt has different meanings in different circles
    some say its a girls tatt
    there is a band biohazard and fans have the tatt

    around the 1990,s it was popular among gays to mean hiv+ and infectious
    for others it meant a new beginning or proud of hiv
    some use it to let others know rather then telling, see it as a warning sign
    so there is no clear meaning behind the tatt
    but depending on where you come across the tatt, it can give you a clue or two

  • vintovka

    Posts: 588

    Jul 29, 2012 9:06 PM GMT
    I'd say 90% of the biohazard tattoos I have seen or done were inspired by the band, and the other 10% are "other". I've heard of people with HIV getting the tattoo, but it is not common (nor has it been since I started tattooing in 1993).

    In short the tattoo may be an indicator of the guy's taste in music, but is unlikely to be a signal of his HIV status.

    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgOFgLZJOlA03NNn8woYy
  • jessetriguy

    Posts: 339

    Jul 29, 2012 9:15 PM GMT
    Obscure saidIt basically means, as most tattoos and signals in the gay community arent personal, I have HIV. Now many guys have HIV and dont have tattoos. What the biohazards are saying is they are proud of their activities. They bask in the world of barebacking and are proud to be poz.

    The guy's above me photo is not exactly the same graphic they use.


    I wouldn't go that far saying that all guys with the biohazard tattoos are into barebacking or proud to be poz. Some just get it as way of meeting other poz guys.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jul 29, 2012 9:21 PM GMT
    Ya know... back in antediluvian times when I did that sort of stuff for a living.

    It was a violation of federal law to apply the radiation hazard symbol to non-radioactive materials.

    It was a violation of federal law to apply the biohazard symbol to non-biohazards.

    The idea is that if they're put on millions of things "for fun" they loose their actual meaning, which is actually very important.

    Of course, it's also illegal to use the slow-moving vehicle triangle (for farm equipment) for other uses, but that doesn't stop hundreds of morons from using them for driveway markers. icon_rolleyes.gif

    What we need heyah... is some enfowarsement. "Hey Punk! I am hereby confiscatin that eeleegal arm of yours." *chop* icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif