dawgdude2008 saidHey guys, I'm taking a tour through Australia and New Zealand for 5 weeks to kick off the new year. I'll be spending New Years in Sydney, but other than that I have no clue what to do!
- Thinking of renting a motorcycle and touring some in New Zealand (figured Aus is too big). Anyone know Of a place to rent from?
- any must do gay beaches or anything?
- I read on the other topic that doing the Great Barrier Reef is best done from Cairns and to just show up and boom an overnight tour there, so I'm going to do that
- thinking of hitting up Melbourne, Phillip island, cairns and sydney (3 domestic flights).
- also, thinking of trying Couch Surfing....when do you usually ask people if you can surf their couch? Night before? Week before? Month before?
Any suggestions or must do things are really appreciated! And of course, hit me up if you're in Australia or New Zealand and would like to grab a drink and whatever local food you have (as long as its not veggimite!).
- if you have time and $ for more domestic flights you should visit Perth and Broome and Alice Springs. Perth is another beachy city, but the water should be different bc it's westcoast water. you can use that as a hub to go to Broome (ride camels in the Australian desert). i think you can ride camels in Alice Springs also, thats the hub to go to the big red rock [Ayers Rock / Uluru]. you can have the traditional "Aboriginal" experience there too (Aboriginal = natives of Australia). I know people who have gone the Adelaide route to go to Ayers Rock so it depends on time and money for you but Adelaide is super boring I heard so eh, skip unless if you have ample time. For Cairns if you are into animals you could visit butterfly farms, parrot places, etc. you can play with these animals and it's really fun. Dont forget to eat kangaroo
-for East coast, if you are road tripping then dont forget sexy trashy Gold Coast, lovely Brisbane, and north of Cairns (Port Douglas). Cairns is actually a yucky city, it's just a hub to go everywhere else. For Great Barrier Reef, i went through here: http://www.cairnsdive.com.au/ I really liked it, it's a smaller company and it was the most inexpensive for me. I'd recommend it. I do not think you should book it when you're there in case everything is sold out. You are going during Summer time down under so I am sure there will be tons of packed tourists. I think you should book it beforehand/online.
-For Sydney my favorite place is the Beresford Hotel (it's gay on Sundays). Super clean cut, klassy, sexy. For beaches, just goin to the main beach (Bondi beach) is pretty gay. Everyone is gay in Sydney! The other beaches are for families so unless if you are looking to surf some real waves then no need to make a trip to Manly Beach. Bondi beach also has that ocean/real tidal wave pool at The Icebergs...i dont think you should do this unless if you are so passionate about it. There are so many other things in Sydney to do...to see...to meet. One thing most tourists won't do is the Bondi-Coogee walk. this is really pretty , it starts in Bondi, are you writing this down? ha. also, best view from air to see the opera house is from the pylon of the habour bridge (i dont think the bridge climb is worth it for that amount of $). same view. Another best view of opera house is taking the ferry to Watson's Bay (final destination), you'll pass the opera house's front view by boat, stunning views of everything! North Sydney from Luna Park is also really pretty as you look towards the city (not a lot of people do this)
-For Melbourne, there is a "secret" rooftop bar/lounge that usually only locals know about. It's above a shop called 'Cookie' on 252 Swanston Street in City Circle. You'd like it, it's pretty (very new york-esque) and sexy as you get to look over Melbourne from up top. Do not miss out on the Great Ocean Road bc that's pretty too (if you are into driving/motorcycling then dont do the tour but do it yourself)
-New Zealand is backpacking/hitchhiking territory so no matter where you go you'd be able to find transportation. If you are flying into Auckland or Wellington or Queenstown or Christchurch you will be fine. Each city is packed with options to travel within. South island is packed so you won't be clueless on what to do (everything is well advertised). A lot of people miss out North Island, which I think you should do if you have time. I really liked Wellington, it's incredibly pretty. Also Zorbing only exists in North Island. Auckland- didn't leave the airport, heard it's a mini version of Sydney. You can definitely scurry through north island and then focus on south island (including glaciers, milford sound, everything around queenstown etc). remember to do your homework beforehand to prevent from getting everything sold out/booked since dec/jan is primetime (aussies also going on break)
-for Couchsurfing, i'd recommend it. Australia and NZ are known for couchsurfing since it's backpacking capital. You should request 2 weeks in advance. However, remember that you are going during prime time (summer lovin) so you should request 1 month before. Backpackers are on this shizzle so you should maybe go on CS Forums for Australia and NZ to discover what to do, where to go, who to talk to , etc. maybe develop rapport with people beforehand. There are gay groups for these cities/countries so you'll be fine. If you are still unsure read CS guidelines on how to write a request, what to do when you're getting started, etc. too easy to get a couch/bed/guestroom if the host is gay too ;- P