Gallup: Based on 120,000 interviews, 3.4% of U.S. Adults Identify as LGBT

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 18, 2012 6:00 PM GMT
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/158066/special-report-adults-identify-lgbt.aspx

    These results are based on responses to the question, "Do you, personally, identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender?" included in 121,290 Gallup Daily tracking interviews conducted between June 1 and Sept. 30, 2012. This is the largest single study of the distribution of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) population in the U.S. on record. By comparison, the General Social Survey, a project of NORC at the University of Chicago, asked a sexual orientation question in its 2008 and 2010 survey of about 2,000 adults in each year. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' National Survey of Family Growth asked a sexual orientation question of about 12,000 young adults aged 18 to 44 in 2002 and of more than 20,000 adults in its 2006-2010 survey. The 3.4% figure is similar to a 3.8% estimate made by one of the authors of this study (Gates), averaging a group of smaller U.S. surveys conducted from 2004 to 2008.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 18, 2012 11:49 PM GMT
    Just enter into the chat room here. There are a hell of a lot of men who, if asked in public, would not say they were gay or even bi ... usually because they are married, or just scared for whatever reason.

    I don't believe those surveys can ever be accurate in the area of sexuality. I'm KNOW there are alot of people identify as straight ... but their actions show the opposite.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 18, 2012 11:51 PM GMT
    3.4% may identify as LGBT, but the other 96.6% can be found in bathhouses and video chat rooms.
  • Medjai

    Posts: 2671

    Oct 18, 2012 11:52 PM GMT
    paulflexes said3.4% may identify as LGBT, but the other 96.6% can be found in bathhouses and video chat rooms.


    Shh. We don't speak of such things.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 18, 2012 11:53 PM GMT
    Medjai said
    paulflexes said3.4% may identify as LGBT, but the other 96.6% can be found in bathhouses and video chat rooms.


    Shh. We don't speak of such things.
    DADT
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 18, 2012 11:54 PM GMT
    paulflexes said3.4% may identify as LGBT, but the other 96.6% can be found in bathhouses and video chat rooms.


    Amen! I live in a rather conservative area. I'd wager that at LEAST 20% of the men here are gay, but only about 2-3% would identify, which isn't even being out per se, as someone might ID themselves on a survey but still be living a relative closeted/private life.

    The gym was closet case city tonight. More wandering/roving eyes than college night at a gay bar. But I counted 5 guys that I know are gay/ID'd/out. A couple others I recognized from Grindr/A4A/etc. The rest...too busy with fear.
  • TheBizMan

    Posts: 4091

    Oct 18, 2012 11:57 PM GMT
    If everyone came out right now at this very moment I'm sure the figure would be closer to 8-10% of gay and bisexual individuals.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 18, 2012 11:59 PM GMT
    TheBizMan saidIf everyone came out right now at this very moment I'm sure the figure would be closer to 8-10% of gay and bisexual individuals.
    You misspelled 80-100%.
  • Medjai

    Posts: 2671

    Oct 19, 2012 12:09 AM GMT
    TheBizMan saidIf everyone came out right now at this very moment I'm sure the figure would be closer to 8-10% of gay and bisexual individuals.


    Ah, delusions of grandeur...