Buppi saidI was on a low carb diet for a whole year, recently got off of it this weekend... The paleo is just more of a hippie lifestyle, but when you decide to introduce carbs you will bloat up 4-6 pounds of water weight and you will be gasy and on the toilet all day.
It's a great way to cut off the water weight and fat for a few months at least.
I don't know what's hippie about it. Paleo at its core is about eating whole foods and removing processed foods from one's diet. Frankly I think that should be the core of anyone's diet, whether they consider themselves Paleo or not.
I'm a big fan of it, having been introduced to it by people here on the RJ forums. You're going to get a mixed bag of opinions about it here on the RJ forums (here come the flames!), so the best recommendation I can give you is do your own research, do some self-experimentation and try for yourself. Everyone who I have personally gotten to try it has lost weight and have commented on they feel much better on the diet. (You don't look like you need to lose any weight though!)
Yes, cereals are bad. Oatmeal is a border food if it's steel cut.
How I've benefited from Paleo personally:
* I discovered that I was gluten intolerant. A slew of GI issues that I thought were just my normal me, cleared up once I eliminated wheat.
* I've lost about 15 lbs and have gone from a 32" waist to 30". I may have lost more because I feel like my strength training is improved and have put on more muscle.
* It's forced me to learn to cook more
* It's forced me to eat better by changing my diet to more whole foods. There are a lot more vegetables in my diet now than before.
* It has brought bacon back into my diet.