jmusmc85 saidIt's time for some tough love!!!
You have never heard of "out of your league"? Really? Like....really?
Listen, you can't fuck a personality. A lot of times, some guys just want to get off. I could care less about how much you make, where you are from, or if you help your grandmother with groceries. If I'm horny and you are a fine piece of meat, then we are smashin.
And let's face it, the hot, 6'2 model guy at the bar is not going to go home with the Shrek look alike. Even if has a nice job, nice house, and volunteers at the hospital. Maybe, if you are looking for a relationship, those things should be considered, but not for a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am.
So maybe that is what your friend is trying to tell you. And this all "lets hold hands and talk about inner beauty" makes you sound like the better man...but guess what?!?!?! You ain't getting laid with that thinking!!!
Tough love, I see......sooooo when's the love part coming?
For his point, jmusmc85 is on the right track... you sit down to a poker game with a hand of cards, not a baked good. This is of course assuming you are looking for these guys in a club, bar, or some other type of pick-up situation. These are meat markets for most people, where competition is 99% physical appearance. The other 1% is you better have good breath. If you don't, all that really means is that it's your face that's going to be buried in the pillow.
As for "out of your league" - I have never heard a friend say this to me. A friend doesn't say that to you. It's just mean. And friends aren't (supposed to be) mean.
If a guy I were interested in said it, I would most likely say something like "haha you're right" and walk away considering that bullet dodged. There are a million ways to let a guy down without being insulting or mean.
Just be yourself, leave yourself open to whatever possibilities meeting new people bring. Whether it be a hookup, friends with benefits, friends, or a relationship. Or even in some cases, a rejection.