Oct 09, 2013 12:31 AM GMT
Based on the book
True or False?
1) Shepard was murdered by two homophobic bigots, who Shepard did not know prior to the night of the murder.
"Shepard was murdered by McKinney, a bisexual who not only knew Shepard but previously had sex with him.
Henderson, who tried to stop McKinney from killing Shephard, was himself attacked by McKinney."
2) Shepard was HIV-positive and had been arrested for molesting young boys.
3) Substance abuse played no known role in Shepard's life and death.
"Shepard and McKinney were both meth dealers. 'Matthew was part of an interstate meth-trafficking circle,' writes Jimenez. McKinney was 'first his friend and occasional sex partner, then his competitor and adversary, and finally his killer.'"
4) The motive for murdering Matthew Shepard was simply hate.
"McKinney was on a meth-fueled rampage. He pistol-whipped Shepard for drug money, drove into town to rob Shepard's apartment, and then pistol-whipped a stranger who got in his way, fracturing his skull in the process."
5) Media coverage of the Matthew Shepard case is generally considered to have been fair and objective.
"The media lied about the case from day one."
6) The author, Stephen Jiminez, is a suspected homophobe and is probably just trying to tarnish the reputation of a key figure in the gay rights/anti-hate-crime movement.
Jiminez is gay and is sharing the results of many years of research into the life and death of Matthew Shepard.
7) There are parallels between the media treatment of Trayvon Martin and Matthew Shepard.
Jack Cashill makes a convincing case.