Feb 18, 2014 5:25 PM GMT
How do you like it? Visiting next week but thinking of a permanent move. What's the scene like?
southbeach1500 saidWell I can't tell you what "the scene is like" (I'm too old and square for that!), but having myself moved to Miami from NYC (which is where your profile says you are from), I would make the following observations:
1) In many ways, downtown Miami and especially Miami Beach, is like living in Manhattan. If you don't want to have a car or drive much, then you will do fine. Many things are within walking distance and there's a fairly good bus system.
2) Miami (including Miami Beach) is a BIG place. If you are comfortable living in NYC with the "hustle and bustle" you will find that down here it isn't some quite, small town place.
3) Contrary to the myth, it really isn't that much hotter here in the Summer than it is up in NYC. Many times it is actually hotter up THERE than it is here. The difference being that our "Summer" can go from March into November!
4) It's flat. Very flat here. If you get freaked out by not seeing hills, then this is not the place for you.
5) It's less expensive to live here than in NYC (especially Manhattan).
6) We have NO STATE INCOME TAX here in Florida. Quite a nice change from NY which has a very high income tax.
7) This is a multi-cultural area. However, if you go across the county line, out of Miami-Dade county, you will find things not so multi-cultural at all.
How's that for starters?
Incendiary saidJmusmc85 lives there.
And CSI Miami.
Thus, it is awesome.
miamit89 saidBe prepared for everyone being fake and/or compulsive liars though :-/
Romero23 saidHow do you like it? Visiting next week but thinking of a permanent move. What's the scene like?
ART_DECO saidRomero23 saidHow do you like it? Visiting next week but thinking of a permanent move. What's the scene like?
What do you intend to do here? Work? Attend school? Take your chances? Your personal goals can help to define the location that's best for you, and that's true everywhere.
As I've mentioned before, Miami and the City of Miami Beach are 2 different places. Google map to see. One's on the ocean and very touristy, the other more a big city downtown of businesses & skyscrapers, with Spanish nearly the second language, especially in nearby residential areas. You'll likely find Miami Beach (and it's subdivision of South Beach) to be more pedestrian friendly. But then you'll be out on what is essentially a narrow island.
As for the gay community, it's largely moved away from Miami Beach, though it's still mostly friendly there. Now it's centered in Fort Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, and Oakland Park (again, map them).
They're about 35 drive miles to the north, but if you only need that scene a few times a year it won't be a problem. If you want to be a regular club boi you might consider locating up there instead. Fort Lauderdale has good beaches, too, including a very gay one, Sebastian, though not offering the Art Deco beachfront hotel row of South Beach.
southbeach1500 saidRomero23 said
I'm a massuer and travel alot for work. So if I make the move I'd be based out of there instead of New York. Not really into clubs although everyone raves about my Miami's. I'd most likely stay on south beach.
Skip South Beach. Instead, look at the 2 other areas of town: Mid Beach and North Beach. Rents are less and you get more for your rental money. There is a very nice beach walk that pretty much goes the length of Miami Beach along the ocean, so if you have a bike, you can get from all the way up at North Beach to South Beach in like 15 minutes. There's also good bus service all up and down Miami Beach.
Incendiary saidJmusmc85 lives there.Who cares about Jmusmc85 Don't even mention that despicable lowlife. This guy is seriously considering a move to Miami. Don't scare the guy away from Miami. There are several other realjock members who live in Miami and its suburbs, visit their profiles, introduce yourself and ask them what it is like to live in Miami.
And CSI Miami.
Thus, it is awesome.
theantijock said...In fact, there used to be a pretty good gay complex I think right over by the beach across from Bass. Holy shit I think I just busted a brain cell. Yes, I had a lot of fun there. That probably closed down by the mid 90s. I forget what it was called...
theantijock saidtheantijock said...In fact, there used to be a pretty good gay complex I think right over by the beach across from Bass. Holy shit I think I just busted a brain cell. Yes, I had a lot of fun there. That probably closed down by the mid 90s. I forget what it was called...
Fucking internets. Amazing. I found it....
Romero23 saidSo I'm here..and got damn I'm blown away. Never seen so many hot guys on grindr in my life smh lol. And people seem much cooler and nice than in ny. Beautiful perfect weather right now..so relaxing.