I've lived in Phoenix for a long time so I guess I'm somewhat obligated to be it's spokesperson. I love it here!
Bars: We don't have much of a bar scene but here is a breakdown.Amsterdam
- busy on Friday & Saturday Nights - Martini BarCharlies
- - busy most nights, country western / dance after hours.BS West
-- busy on Wednesday nights for 2for1 and Sunday for Karaoke. Video Bar.Roscoe's
-- busy on Tuesdays and Thursdays - sports bar.
Restaurants: Here are some of my favorites.La Grand Orange
- I love this place! It's in Scottsdale & kind of out of the way but very wroth it. Great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They have awesome sandwiches, pizzas, and a kick ass bakery.The Quilted Bear
- lots of old people go here but the food is amazing. Also in Scottsdale.The Vig
- Great hamburger place. Flo's
- best Chinese food in town. Zen 32
- Great sushi placeTicos
- Really good Mexican/American food - marketed towards the gay community.Fez
- service sucks but the drinks and food are good, marketed towards the gay community.
-Definitely check out Camelback Mountain if you like to hike. There are two trails, Echo Canyon (difficult) or Cholla (moderate). http://phoenix.gov/PARKS/hikecmlb.html
FYI - there are lots of hot guys on the echo canyon side.
-Desert Botanical Gardens - very relaxing and cool place to hang out for a while. $15 to get in.
-Tempe Marketplace or Desert Ridge Marketplace - good shopping and restaurants. There is also a Dave & Busters at each of these locations which is kind of a video game / drinking place.
-Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall - the big mall in the city. Good shopping if that's your deal.
-The LA Fitness on 20th street and Camelback Rd is considered the be the 'Gay Gym' of phoenix. I've never been but apparently it's quite the meat market.
That's all I can think of for now. Have fun.
Check this link out for SamerPhx's rather exhaustive list of Phoenix activities: http://www.realjock.com/gayforums/111344/