I've never understood why this statistic is so high, to be honest. I've always thought that safe sex was common knowledge.
1. Condoms were never designed for anything other than vaginal sex.
2. A certain segment of the gay population fetish each other's anuses/bowels and prefer barebacking.
3. When a women goes on the pill her monogamous b/f or hubby no longer uses condoms, and some gay men feel they don't need condoms either.
4. As gay porn has slowly gone condom free, so have HIV rates in the gay community. Instead of using common sense, they emulate porn.
5. Bug chasers want HIV so they'll never have to worry about HIV/AIDS any more. Bug chasing doesn't seem to exist among straight people.
6. People who weren't around in the 80's may figure it's no big deal to get HIV these days, you can just take pills for it.
7. Stealthing exists in the gay community but not in the straight community where pregnancy is a possibility. http://iblastinside.com/2012/06/top-10-stealthing-tips/
8. The latest thing is to take Truvada and also use condoms, but it's clear that once gay men start taking that pill they'll be chucking the condoms. HIV/AIDS is tricky. A girl born with HIV was considered cured of the disease earlier this year, but a few weeks ago it was determined the four year old is not cured. HIV is still active in her system.
9. You can educate people all you want, but they're still going to do whatever they want. With all we know about cigarettes and addiction, it still surprises me when I see young people take up the smoking habit. Cigarettes are expensive and there are even health warnings right on the cigarette pack.