The Verdict: Formaldehyde Causes Cancer

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Aug 19, 2014 2:02 AM GMT
    NYT: Formaldehyde, a substance widely used in consumer products and industrial processes, has been authoritatively judged a carcinogen despite the best efforts of the chemical industry to confuse the issue. A panel of experts convened by the National Academy of Sciences found sufficient evidence from human studies to declare formaldehyde “a known human carcinogen” that causes cancers.

    Formaldehyde is a chemical that is still found in nail polish, shampoo, soap, fabric softeners, hair straighteners, carpets and other consumer products.

    Companies that still use it as an ingredient insist that it is safe (no worse than formaldehyde produced in the body or in an apple, they say). Johnson & Johnson announced in January that it had removed formaldehyde from all of its baby products and planned to remove unpopular chemicals from all of its consumer products.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/opinion/formaldehyde-and-cancer.html?ref=opinion
  • Aleco_Graves

    Posts: 708

    Aug 21, 2014 2:08 AM GMT
    I'll worry about that when i'm dead and theyre soaking my body in it icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Aug 21, 2014 10:48 AM GMT
    The only thing that does not cause cancer is death, it seems.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Aug 22, 2014 6:18 AM GMT
    That would explain why all those people in sealed formaldehyde jars are dead.

    woodsmen: Do you have an opinion on this subject?
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Aug 22, 2014 1:32 PM GMT
    My particular selection of the article to illuminate it for discussion is an opinion based on the factual underpinning of the article.
  • Jeepguy2

    Posts: 165

    Mar 04, 2015 5:05 AM GMT
    paulflexes saidThe only thing that does not cause cancer is death, it seems.


    Pretty much. I read somewhere that 95% of cancers are genetic, and the other 5% are due to lifestyle factors.

    Who doesn't know some fat ass couch potato who smoked like a freight train and still managed live to a ripe old age, or a non-smoker who was healthy, athletic, and fit, and died young of cancer, or dropped dead of a massive heart attack while running or working out?