A Girl Left Her Contacts In For 6 Months And Amoebas Ate Her Eyeballs

  • metta

    Posts: 39099

    Apr 20, 2015 3:57 PM GMT
    A Girl Left Her Contacts In For 6 Months And Amoebas Ate Her Eyeballs


    http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/girl-left-her-contacts-6-months-and-amoebas-ate-her-eyeballs
  • metta

    Posts: 39099

    Apr 20, 2015 3:58 PM GMT
    Acanthamoeba Keratitis FAQs


    http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/acanthamoeba/gen_info/acanthamoeba_keratitis.html
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 20, 2015 4:11 PM GMT
    I'm surprised she hadn't been warned of this. Or that she ignored the advice she was given.

    I got my first contact lenses in 1965. Hard plastic, my first soft lenses not until 1971 when they became available. And I was always warned of the dangers of various diseases of the eyes. Either this young lady was dealing with incompetent eyecare people, or she simply ignored what they told her.

    My current solution is to wear 1-day disposable lenses. I wear them fresh for a day, and then throw them away. Little chance for microorganisms to develop. And really no more expensive than reusable contacts.

    I only wear them at evening social functions, anyway. I still need reading glasses, more hassle than I like, compared to no-line bifocals.
  • Trauts

    Posts: 1012

    Apr 20, 2015 4:28 PM GMT
    What... I've tried wearing contact lenses over night and it kills my eyes the next day. How did she do it for 6 months?!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 20, 2015 5:01 PM GMT
    Trauts saidWhat... I've tried wearing contact lenses over night and it kills my eyes the next day. How did she do it for 6 months?!

    There are variations of contacts lens types. One I had in the late 1980s were "extended wear" which did allow you to wear them for about a month. A lot depends on how "wet" your eyes are (tear-producing).

    Mine are more dry, so extended wear didn't work for me when I tried them. Another reason the daily wear disposables are best for me. No problems with dry-eye, nor daily cleaning, nor storage, nor eye infections.
  • Svnw688

    Posts: 3350

    Apr 20, 2015 7:40 PM GMT
    I use 30 day disposables, and I usually pitch them after 2 to 3 weeks when they "feel" off.

    I also use that ClearCare (hydrogen peroxide) solution every night. Maybe once a month I'll fall asleep working and wake up at 4AM and take them out, but that's the exception, not the rule.

    I could never stand contacts in my eye while I slept. I feel sorry for the girl, but she was a college student...how did she not attempt basic eye care? It'd be as if a college student didn't brush their teeth, eat candy and soda constantly, and then was shocked when a year later she needs 2 root canals and 3 extractions.

    Umm, there's a "duh" factor here.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Apr 21, 2015 9:00 PM GMT
    I use disposables, change them often and never wear them overnight. You can tell when they feel funky and then you just toss them out.

    But mom had an issue while suffering Alzheimer's. I saw her pretty much every day so caught the problem real quick. I noticed her eye looked infected, took her right away to the doc and it turned out she wasn't changing her lenses.

    We talked about it, she realized the Alzheimer's was fucking with her so from that point decided to not use contacts again. Problem solved. Fortunately for us she stayed pretty high functioning throughout the disease. With someone else, or without proper supervision, that could have turned into a big problem.

    That's another issue of aging without kids. If I wind up with dementia, I won't have me to look in on me like I looked in on mom. So I've adopted two kids to take care of me if I should ever succumb to AD. I've already named them: Smith & Wesson. Eye problem solved.