This topic has come up before, and here is what was posted then:
Jeff from RJ here. Here's the general criteria for MOD:
1. Verified profile
2. Don't have your profile hidden from public view
3. Have your main pic be a face pic
4. Have multiple pics
OTHER THINGS WE LOOK AT:
1. Have something interesting written in your profile
2. Contribute to forums (in a good way...)
3. Have some mutual buddies.
4. Be inspirational. We like featuring guys who have accomplished big things like losing a lot of weight or participating in a sport, being really active in your 50s and 60s, etc.
Of course, with the "musts" it limits the pool rather quickly, so sometimes you get members who don't meet all of the other criteria.
For Man of the Week, we can also feature guys who have their profile hidden from public view by non-logged-in members. For Man of the Week, we try to find guys with the most inspirational profiles.
It's far from a perfect process of course, but there you have it. And of course, we're always open for other options (small overworked staff = us)."
I think the criteria makes sense, and the four "musts" are what I look for when I hotlist a guy.