Joined this site just so I could reply to this post as I have gotten my heart broken a few times. I recommend doing the following things during that painful downtime right after the breakup. These are designed to elevate your mood. And after being distracted for awhile, time will start healing your heart.
1) Workout even more, do more cardio, and enjoy some alone time in the sauna/steam room after the workout.
2) Shower after workout - at the end of the shower, turn the water to ice cold and stay under it for at least 45 seconds - the shock to your system and cold water actually will help combat the physical side effects of depression and elevate your mood and you will feel refreshed.
3) Watch a comedy - be it television or movie. Great recommendations for television depending on your humor are - the office, 30 rock, it's always sunny in philadelphia, hung, rescue me, kathy griffin on bravo.
movies: funny people, the ugly truth, the hangover, role models, zach and miri make a porno, caddyshack, vacation movies, animal house, mumford
4) DO NOT DRINK. PERIOD. drinking does not help you get over anyone.
5) DO NOT HAVE SEX. it will not help you get over anyone and will not feel good.
6) DO masturbate. Treat yourself to your favorite porn and rub one out.
7) Do something new and different for yourself. GO eat a new restaurant you want to try, sit at the bar or outside.
Volunteer - you will have now more free time so use it to give back - this will make you feel good about YOU.
9) Do go for a hike or bike ride.
10). Meet an old friend for coffee. Call someone from your past who always made you smile and buy them a coffee, sit outside and catch up.
11) Do go out with your friends, talk to them for support.
12) DO NOT do things you used to do with your ex-boyfriend - restaurants, movies, etc. DO NOT keep any of his old stuff around. T shirts, underwear, etc. One exception is DO go to the gym even if he went with you, you went long before he did and you do that for you. Period.
13) TREAT YOURSELF. Do the stuff that you like to do, especially things he did not necessarily like to do with you. Favorite food you liked, tv show, hike, etc.
14) Buy yourself a new shirt, pants, underwear, colonge. One outfit. Hang this and save it for after about a week for when you feel right and are ready to explore the new you.
15) When you are ready to start exploring the real you - make a list of the things you want out of a relationship - the IDEAL relationship and hold on to that for awhile. You will eventually see that he was not your IDEAL.
16) READ. Lighthearted fare.
17) Learn something new. A new language. A new hobby.
19). Pay it forward. Buy a stranger a coffee. Put out good energy to the universe and karma will reward you.
20). Introduce yourself to someone you would like to know. Make a new friend.
21) Explore new music - either a new group or genre.
22) Explore yourself - do the things that make you happy and have always made you happy before you were in any relationship.
Well, mate, give these a go. These things do help you feel better and eventually help you get over a break-up. Sorry someone broke your heart. I know it hurts. Don't hesitate to reach out to anyone. We can all relate to having been hurt. But try these things and avoid the old traps of wallowing, drinking, sex, etc., that only make you feel worse. Enjoy yourself. You have a lot going for you that attracted your ex, so you focus on your positive attributes and you will attract someone new when the time is right. In the meantime, enjoy being alone for a bit, too, and think about all of the things you would like to do with your life. It is your life. RULE YOUR OWN WORLD.
Hope this helps. Let me know. Peace and sending you some love your way.