Well some things to consider before you even get there....
1. What you want to accomplish (i.e. weight loss, increase muscle mass, just get into good physical shape)
2. How much time do you want or can you put in
3. How much money you are willing to spend on a trainer
4. The kind of training (and trainer) you want. Lots of personal attention,
not so much..
5. Your own dedication to the process
Once you get there, you need to ask some questions:
1. His or her experience and educational background. How long have they been employed there?
2. References (and I don't care if its the kind of gym where everybody uses the trainer).
3. Agree to a couple of sessions.. then re-evaluate. Does this person make sense to you... in other words are you comfortable with this individual, are you encouraged that you are going down the right track? If not, ask for another trainer or go to a different place
4. Evaluate the facility. Do you want to stay there or go somewhere else.
5. Above all, be clear with the trainer with what you want... what you expect and pay attention to what you are getting from the trainer.