Well, I just had my first run in the new shoes. I ran for six miles over a variety of surfaces (cobbles, paving, grass, loose dirt) and encountered some broken glass. Some random thoughts:
- I stopped over pronating almost immediately and now have a nice, neutral gait
- My feet hurt like hell at first, but by the end of the run they felt a little numbed
- Whilst it definitely doesn't feel like running barefoot, there is sufficient sensitivity for you to be very aware of what sort of surface you are running on. The closes analogy I can think of (involving sex, of course) is dry humping whilst wearing jeans vs fucking with a condom vs bareback (I hope everyone can workout which represents trainers, the five fingers and barefoot running)
- My calves hurt. I think that's because my stride became shorter and so my calves were being worked harder...
- I think I might be getting a blister on my left heel. Given that I couldn't feel any friction between my foot and the shoe I'm not sure how that has come about... maybe I'm wrong
- There was no 'slapping' sound as I ran... my movements became a great deal more delicate
- I was able to keep my normal pace (with my legs pumping a bit faster, of course)