Blood clot

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Dec 23, 2009 2:55 PM GMT
    I have a blood clot. I'm posting so perhaps, if one of you guys develop one, you'll recognize the symptoms and get help faster than I did. The danger with a clot is that if it dislodges, it could cause heart attack, stroke, or any myriad of very serious conditions

    About two weeks ago, I felt a twinge in my left achilles tendon. I had just done legs the day before, so I thought I might have just overdone it a bit...and maybe that's what indeed started the whole thing. Over the weekend, my left ankle swelled...and I thought, perhaps I had sprained an ankle. It was very tender and painful to the touch. I've had tons of sprained ankles, so I wasn't worried. That week, the pain started inching up my during this time, I was continuing to work out and do my cardio. On Thursday of that week, the pain had reached my knee. I asked my trainer to look at it and he immediately said: "Go to your doctor NOW!" He didn't hazard a guess as to what was going on, he just said "GO".

    I called the doctor Friday and got an appointment for Monday morning (last week). By the time I got to the doctor, the pain had extended close to my groin...and that was making me nervous. The doctor examined me, got really anxious, told me I had a very well-developed blood clot and had me rushed to the hospital for a STAT ultrasound. She also told me to arrange for my partner to pack me a bag...I was likely to be admitted to the hospital. Two ultrasounds that day confirmed good news and bad news. The bad news was that I did have a blood clot that extended from my ankle to my groin, but the good news was that it was confined to inferior veins and not major circulatory routes. I was not admitted to the hospital, but I've gotten to see the doctor or part of her staff every weekday since. A follow up ultrasound shows that the clot is now only extends from the ankle to mid calf. But, I've been injecting myself twice daily with an the clot won't/wouldn't continue to grow...I'm taking coumadin daily for at least the next three months, and am wearing cute support hose. I have not been able to work out or play golf, and will likely be restricted for another couple of weeks.

    All in all, I've been very fortunate. If you experience anything like I've described, don't be too macho, go to the doctor right away!

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Dec 23, 2009 3:14 PM GMT
    Wishes to you for a very Merry Christmas and a full recovery soon my friend.May 2010 bring you only good luck and good health!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Dec 23, 2009 4:49 PM GMT
    Good luck!
  • SwimNP

    Posts: 52

    Dec 23, 2009 6:08 PM GMT
    I'm glad you all caught it before any major complications. I wish you the best!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Dec 23, 2009 7:02 PM GMT
    So good that you caught it in time! Nice of you to warn others too.

    Like they say, if you suspect something is wrong, go to the doctor or the ER immediately -- no matter how old or how young, no matter how healthy you think you are.

    Glad you're on the mend. Have a great holiday!!
  • mascguymia

    Posts: 30

    Dec 23, 2009 7:04 PM GMT
    Thanks for the info. Get well soon icon_smile.gif
  • drypin

    Posts: 1798

    Dec 23, 2009 10:04 PM GMT
    What a frightening story! Thankfully caught in time. I second the other's wishes for a full recovery and memorable holidays.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Dec 23, 2009 11:10 PM GMT
    Dear Rigsby: Very sorry to hear this happened to you, glad it seems to have been resolved. It's good to share these kinds of cautionary tales.

    As you know, my partner, whom you've met, had a sudden arterial blockage in October, a more serious condition that caused gangrene to start. He got to within hours of leg amputation, which was avoided.

    What got my attention, barely 12 hours after the first pain had started in his leg and foot, was that one foot was ice cold, the other not. I called the doctor on Saturday from home, and was told he needed to be seen immediately. Of course "C" didn't want to go back to the hospital, having just had some surgery there.

    I came back into the bedroom a few minutes later fully dressed myself, with some of his overnight things, and simply said "Get dressed, we're leaving for the hospital in 5 minutes." I think my manner told him not to argue with me any more.

    He remained there 11 days, 6 of them in critical care, the doctors telling us if we'd waited a few more hours he'd definitely have lost the leg above the knee. No one wants to be a hypochondriac, and you're right about the macho crap, but you also have to know when it's time to call the game on account of rain.

    BTW, is that Lovenox you're injecting? I gave that to C after his surgery myself, he couldn't face injecting himself into the stomach. He's also on Coumadin right now, but he hates the diet restrictions it causes.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 04, 2010 8:41 AM GMT
    I would believe its lovenox/clexane he'd be injecting, though I was curious to find out myself. As for the warfarin, though there are diet restrictions on it, its more there if you end up binging on certain foods. If its already part of your stable diet, then that's fine because you'll be getting your INR checked out regularly and being dose adjusted anyway.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Oct 20, 2010 4:10 PM GMT
    I'm revisiting some old posts, so have just seen some of the above comments.

    Thanks for the good wishes. Everything turned out well.

    Yes, it was Lovenox that I was injecting.

    Also, my physician did not tell me to adjust my diet. She told me that many physicians make that recommendation, but she simply monitors and adjusts the dosage.