Has Anyone Used A Germ Guardian UV Air Sanitizer? UPDATED

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 22, 2010 4:28 PM GMT
    My dad is suffering from the worst allergies ever. I think mildew is the main culprit in their 90 year old house. I am thinking about getting one of these

    Germ%20Guardian%20UV-C%20Room%20Air%20Sa
    www.germguardian.com

    The Germ GuardianĀ® UV-C Room Air Sanitizer kills over 99% of airborne bacteria. It also kills airborne mold spores and fights odors. Use it in the home, office or daycare to help sanitize the air.
    UV-C light is used in hospitals and is highly effective at killing common germs and viruses. It is a chemical-free way to sanitize the air.

    A powerful fan draws air into the product. Next UV-C light kills airborne bacteria. The whisper-quiet fan returns purified air back into the room. It processes 1380 cubic feet of air per hour and is recommended to run continuously. It stays cool to the touch.

    Anyone have any positive/negative comments?
    Thanks!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 22, 2010 7:16 PM GMT
    Mold is pretty serious business. Have you had someone come in and check for mold? I'm not so sure an air sanitizer will solve the problem.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 24, 2010 3:42 AM GMT
    It is only going to to one room. What about the rest of the house/apt? Plus it only kills airborne type virus' that I can see and does not remove dust and dander .. There are other air cleaners that do both. In all practicality none of the room type air cleaners really do a good job.. sometimes opening the window is better.
    Buy it, try it and return it if it doesn't appear to do anything.
  • cowboyathlete

    Posts: 1346

    Jan 24, 2010 3:47 AM GMT
    I have never seen or heard of such a thing. I would suggest a HEPA unit that removes most dust, mold, and viruses from the air. Ultimately, though, you need to get rid of the source of the mold and mildew, not simply filter it out.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 25, 2010 4:12 PM GMT
    UPDATE: OK, it's been running non-stop for over 48 hours now and guess what?

    Mom & Dad claim they wake up less stuffy-nosed and feeling more rested!

    It is NOT a filter. It has NO filter in it. It's simply UV light with a fan to pull the air through. It will 'clean' a 200 sq ft. room in an hour. Guess what? The air in a room is not stagnant! It will circulate via the HVAC and normal convection so the benefit is not limted to just one room, unless you close the door.
    They already had a HEPA filter, which as you know, requires changing filters a lot.

    I got them this to supplement it. Sometimes they forget to change the filter regularly. Hey, YOU get to be 88 and see how your mind works!

    I first heard about it from my surgeon friend who keeps one in his office during consultations.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 25, 2010 6:49 PM GMT
    Good to hear, maybe there is some merit in it.