Toxins in Bottled Water!

  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 28, 2008 7:23 AM GMT
    Hi all,
    I am not realizing that tap water is safe to drink. There are large amount of consumers of bottled water in the country. I know that the water is not "safe," but I don't know exactly what toxins are in it, or where they come from. Does anyone know about this problem?
    Thanks!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 28, 2008 6:00 PM GMT
    There is not necessarily anything "bad" in bottled water. The point is that in the vast majority of cases, there is nothing "bad" in tap water either. (At least in this country.) All municipal water supplies are exhaustively analyzed to be sure that they meet water quality standards. In most states, bottled water does not have to meet all of the same standards as tap water.

    But in the vast majority of cases, bottled water is simply tap water from the bottling plant. It's exactly the same stuff except that you pay more for it.

    The biggest hazard in all water supplies is disease-causing bacteria. This is what we spend so much money to eliminate. Depending on the geology of your area, there may be other problems, like too much salt, or traces of arsenic. But these are taken care of at the water treatment plant. In some cases, there can problems in your home, like contaminated or corroding pipes, or old copper pipes that contain lead.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 28, 2008 6:07 PM GMT
    To add to mindgarden's post, some believe that the small amounts of plasticizers (stuff that makes the plastic pliable) are carcinogenic. When the water bottle heats up (like in your car on a warm day, for instance) the "phthalates" seep into the water from the bottle at a higher rate, and from there, they supposedly cause cancer. But, that idea has been sensationalized, in my opinion. Lots of things have been linked to cancer development, afterall.

    Tap water, if anything, is better for you because of the minerals you receive, whereas with purified water, you don't get anything. Just...water.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 28, 2008 6:11 PM GMT

    I always thought bottled water was a crock. Anyone who wants to sell me a bottle of water for $1.75 is not my friend. Unless you are at a bar in Palm Springs, then it is $5.00, WTF!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 28, 2008 6:11 PM GMT
    I use a Wellness Water Filter in my kitchen for all cooking and drinking.

    20Cutaway.jpg
  • SoDakGuy

    Posts: 1862

    Jan 28, 2008 9:19 PM GMT
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp

    icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 28, 2008 9:24 PM GMT
    As far as toxins go, most likely the worst are the phthalates, as was posted above me. They've been studied in both animals and humans, and have been linked to such things as asthma, cancer, and endocrine abnormalities (hormone problems). The latter is probably the most considerable. You can probably google it or whatnot.

    As for me, I'd rather just use a filter on my tap water. Not saying it's immaculate and entirely non-carcinogenic, but I trust it more, and it's definitely cheaper.

    Have a good one!
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Jan 29, 2008 12:04 PM GMT
    Hi, Water is necessary for life, so it's a wonder that it's treated with such disregard. What flows from the tap at home is often polluted with some form of pesticide, industrial chemical, pharmaceutical drug, or other toxin - even after it's passed through a treatment facility. The ability of water treatment facilities to remove toxic chemicals such as lead, mercury, arsenic and other toxins is minimal, and in some geographical areas, non-existent. Even the pipes through which clean water must travel may itself be the source of toxins. view an article about this topic