This exercise provided courtesy of Billy Polson, founder and co-owner of DIAKADI Body personal training gym, voted best personal training gym in San Francisco by CitySearch in 2006.
This combination pull and press exercise isolates and works the three heads of your triceps for well-rounded strength.
Attach a bent bar to the upper connection of a cable machine. Stand in front of the cable machine with your legs in a slight scissor position so that one leg is stepped slightly forward and the other leg is stepped slightly back. Hold the bar up at chest level in both hands with your palms up, positioned so that your pinkies are resting in each bend of the bar. Your elbows should be bent and held in at your sides (see Photo 1).
- From the starting position, use your triceps to pull the bar down toward your thighs. Keep your elbows in close to your body as you descend to concentrate the work in the triceps (see Photo 2).
- When your arms are fully extended and the bar is down in front of your thighs (see Photo 3), reverse motion and bring the bar back up to starting position. Do 12 repetitions of these tricep pulls before moving on to the tricep press.
- To do the tricep press, flip your hand position over so that your palms are facing downward and your pinkies are on the outside bend of the bar. Your elbows should be held in close at your sides (see Photo 4).
- From the tricep press starting position, press the bar down toward your thighs, keeping your elbows in as you descend (see Photo 5).
- At the bottom of the movement, reverse position and bring the bar back up to starting position.