This exercise provided courtesy of Billy Polson, founder and co-owner of DIAKADI Body, which was voted best personal training gym in San Francisco by CitySearch in 2006.
Super legs gives you a great overall leg workout because it combines four incredible leg exercises: squats, reaching lunges, jump scissor switches, and jump squats. For this harder variation, you'll do the entire set with speed and power, trying to do the entire circuit as quickly as you can while maintaining proper form.
Stand upright with feet about hip-distance apart. Place your hands on your head, with your elbows out (see Photo 1).
- Bend your hips and knees quickly into a squat. Your weight should be evenly balanced between your heels and the balls of your feet. Allow your back to arch normally as you sit through your hips (see Photo 2).
- When you have reached the depth of the squat, immediately reverse motion and drive up quickly and powerfully through your heels to return to the starting position.
- After doing the recommended number of reps of the squats, immediately continue with alternate lunges. Step quickly forward with one foot as you drop your back knee toward the floor (see Photo 3). Do not push your front knee past your ankle. Think of lowering down through the back thigh, rather than pushing on the front foot. From the depth of the lunge, immediately drive off the front foot as you bring the back knee quickly up, and return the front foot to its original position. Repeat the same motion with the other leg forward.
- After you have finished the recommended number of reps of the alternating lunges, move immediately on to jump scissor switches. These are the same as the lunges described above, but instead of bringing your feet back together across the floor after the lunge, you will jump into the air out of the lunge and land with the feet reversed. If you started with right foot forward and left back, land with left forward and right back. From the reversed foot orientation, repeat the jump scissor until you have done the total number of recommended switches (see Photos 4 and 5).
- After the switches you move on to jump squats. From the starting position, sit quickly into a squat as described above (see Photo 6). From the bottom of the squat, jump into the air as high as you can (see Photo 7), and then land and lower yourself immediately into the next squat (see Photo 8). Repeat for the total number of recommended jump squats.
- Do this entire sequence as quickly as you can, focusing on speed and maintaining proper form. If you find that you are going too quickly to maintain form, slow down a bit.