Staph is common at most gyms.
Some simple rules:
1) use a workout towel - one with an obvious front & back side. Keep the front side towards you, the back side on the equipment.
2) yes, be courteous and wipe off your residue - but don't expect that anyone else has - and a half-ass swipe doesn't do much, anyway.
3) DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES without washing your hands first.
4) Generally speaking, keep your fingers away from your face without washing your hands. If you have to rub your face, grab a paper towel and use that. If you have to, use the back of your hand or a knuckle, but only if you must.
5) Please don't overuse the disinfectant hand gels. Ask the American Red Cross - they are against them, the feeling being they will promote the growth of disinfectant-resistant strains. Just wash with soap & water.
6) And please, please - if you have a cold, stay the fuck home - don't bring it to the gym with you.
A kindly message from a personal trainer. Me.