Taking Retroviral Therapy to Australia


    Posts: 3

    Nov 19, 2012 7:20 PM GMT
    I am trying to help a friend who is HIV-positive prepare to travel to Australia and we are preparing to get his therapy through customs. We are getting a letter in English from his doctor certifying that the pharmaceutical is only for his personal use etc etc. Does anyone know where there is a website which gives advice on dealing with customs authorities for this kind of issue? Does anyone have experience of traveling (especially to Australia) with the therapy and getting it across borders without difficulty?
  • dfrourke

    Posts: 1062

    Nov 20, 2012 1:22 AM GMT
    This might be helpful to you:


    Additionally, my health insurance provider, Kaiser Permanente, has a travel nurse which helps guide patients on what we "need to know" for safe travel. Your friend may want to see if such a service exists for his/her own health insurance.

    - David icon_wink.gif
  • LJay

    Posts: 11643

    Nov 20, 2012 1:46 AM GMT
    Maybe talk to the consulate here, especially to ask for customs contacts in Australia to contact by email.

    Also, be sure to contact the airlines you will be using and our beloved TSA.
  • Posted by a hidden member.
    Log in to view his profile

    Nov 20, 2012 3:01 AM GMT

    All you need is a letter from your Doctor and no more than a 3 month supply.

    It's not the Middle East here, so you shouldn't be so worried.

    As we have one of the largest gay parties in the world each and every year I am 100% our Customs staff are well trained to facilitate HIV positive travellers.

    If you need a template for the Doctor: